Ivan Hanafi receives his B.Sc. in Electronic Education from Institute of Teacher’s Education and Training (IKIP) Jakarta, B.Eng. in Electronics Engineering from Universitas Indonesia, and Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Technical and Vocational Education from IKIP Yogyakarta. He received his Ph.D. in Technical and Vocational Education from Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM).
In addition to giving lectures on the subject of Electronics Education and Computer Programming at Universitas Negeri Jakarta (former IKIP Jakarta), he also involved in providing consultancy services to the Ministry of National Education – Indonesia. Furthermore, he assisted the Terro-Technologist International Consultant to review preventive maintenance and school-based management programs used in Junior and Senior Secondary Education.
During his professional career that spans for more than 30 years, Prof. Hanafi has experienced many roles and duties, including: (1) Training Coordinator for Technical Training Center, Siemens Indonesia; (2) Chairman of the committee for doctoral scholarship and short-term training abroad on BERMUTU program, Directorate General of Higher Education, Ministry Education and Culture (MoEC); (3) Coordinator of the South East Asian Vocational and Technical Education Research and Networking (SEAVERN) Project for Indonesia; (4) Head of Center for Educational Policy Studies, Universitas Negeri Jakarta; (5) Chairperson of Master Programme for Technical and Vocational Education, Universitas Negeri Jakarta; and (6) Chairman of the Committee for Lecturer Certification Program, Directorate General of Science and Technology Resources and Higher Education – Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education (MoRTHE).
-  Ph.D. from Technical and Vocational Education Faculty of Educational Studies, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia.
-  Bachelor of Engineering from Electronic and Computer Engineering Faculty of Engineering, Universitas Indonesia (UI), Indonesia.
-  Master of Education, Majoring in Technical and Vocational Education from the Institute of Education and Teaching, IKIP Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
-  Doctorandus in Electronic Education, Institute of Education and Teaching, IKIP Jakarta, Indonesia.
-  Leaders Program #2. Temasek Foundation Program on Innovations in Teaching & Learning, Singapore
-  Regional Workshop on Southeast Asian Vocational and Technical Education Network, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
-  Short Course on Laboratory Management and Laboratory Teaching, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia.